Author Archives: rushworthmuseum

Museum news is no longer posted on this site

In moving with the times and to reduce the number of sites we have to manage as well as increase our reach on the internet, Rushworth Museum news and events are no longer posted on this site, rather this information … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Chinese monument at the Whroo cemetery

A new monument at the Whroo cemetery commemorating the Chinese who were part of the Whroo gold rush community as well as some ground work by the cemetery trust to delineate a lot clearer where they were buried.

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Old Police Station

A photograph of the old police station and the adjacent police residence. Also a picture of Ray Pooley, the local policeman in front of the Rushworth Court House on one of the last days when it was actively used. The … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Lost Streets of Rushworth

Have a close look at this 1889 map of Rushworth where our forefathers and (foremothers) were exceedingly optimistic about its growth. Pay particular attention to the proposed properties behind the cemetery and state school (now state forest) and the streets … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

The Village of Rushworth is Born…

The Village of Rushworth is officially recognised the following publication in the government gazette in 1854. Also notice on the attached map the official village boundaries which can be found by the survey marks on Ironbark trees and dead stumps, … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

The Wanalta Hotel

A long forgotten building that reminds us of times gone by…the Wanalta Hotel.

Posted in Local History, Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Stanhope Homstead

Article from 1982 – Weekly Times The mansion was built in 1867, one of the “jewels” in the crown of the Irving Winter empire which dominated the Goulburn Valley in the 1800s. Only a boundary fence, it is said, separated … Continue reading

Posted in Local History | Leave a comment