On Saturday morning 10th May at 11AM at the Old Mechanics Institute Building in High Street a plaque was unveiled recognize 100 years this grand old building has served the Residents of Rushworth and District.
In 2003 the Mechanics Institute Victoria started a programme to install plaques on these old buildings to remind the public of the important role they had played in our history.
The Rushworth plaque is number 41 in this programme.
The first Mechanics Institute Building in Rushworth was build next door to the present building but in 1913 but that land was required to allow the railway line to be extended from Rushworth out to Colbinabbin and Stanhope. It was 18th July 1913 the present building was started with William Gunn Esq laying the Foundation Stone. Architect was J A Inches from Melbourne and local builder Mr Dan Crothers.
At a public meeting in 1969 a committee was formed to start the Rushworth and District Historical and Preservation Society with Mr R Ristrom President and W Jacobson vice president. An appeal was launched for donations asking residents to donate items of historical value this was the start of the great collection now on display in the Museum
.Museum Member George Gemmill told of the research he had done looking through the pages of the 1913 Rushworth Chronicle and the contacts he had with Mechanics Institute Victorian to obtain the Plaque.
Councillor Adrian Weston spoke on the well kept condition of the Building and the importance of preserving our local history. He thanked the Museum members for all their voluntary time they give to keeping the Museum open.
The museum’s longest serving and life member Mr Jeff (Chief) Perry said he was honoured to have been chosen to unveil the plaque. He then unveiled the plague to the applause of those present.
Jeff ( Chief ) Perry left and George Gemmill right
To Contact the museum firstname.lastname@example.org