Old Police Station

A photograph of the old police station and the adjacent police residence. Also a picture of Ray Pooley, the local policeman in front of the Rushworth Court House on one of the last days when it was actively used. The Rushworth Court House is located to the left of the old police station (not in picture) and still exists today.

Advertisements
Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Lost Streets of Rushworth

Have a close look at this 1889 map of Rushworth where our forefathers and (foremothers) were exceedingly optimistic about its growth. Pay particular attention to the proposed properties behind the cemetery and state school (now state forest) and the streets that never came into being, Bishop Street between the school and the cemetery, View Street above the school and the cemetery and Cross, Mason, and Camp Streets between Tatura Road (Old) and the Rushworth Tatura Road (Merrigum Road on the map).

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

The Village of Rushworth is Born…

The Village of Rushworth is officially recognised the following publication in the government gazette in 1854. Also notice on the attached map the official village boundaries which can be found by the survey marks on Ironbark trees and dead stumps, long gone now Im assuming!

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

The Wanalta Hotel

A long forgotten building that reminds us of times gone by…the Wanalta Hotel.

Posted in Local History, Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Stanhope Homstead

Article from 1982 – Weekly Times

The mansion was built in 1867, one of the “jewels” in the crown of the Irving Winter empire which dominated the Goulburn Valley in the 1800s. Only a boundary fence, it is said, separated the large holdings of the brothers, William, John, James and Irving.

The four were the sons of Scottish blacksmiths son Jock Winter who fell in love with and married Janet Irving, daughter of the Lord of Bonshaw, on the English-Scottish border. They had six sons and settled with four of them in Victoria about 1840. Jock “struck it rich” with the discovery of gold on his Bonshaw Run near Ballarat and became known as the “richest man in Ballarat”. He gave each of his sons 10,000 pounds and bought them land in the Goulburn Valley on which each, in turn, built mansions.

James built Dhurringle and John, Colbinabbin. Irving had land at Merrigum but never built a homestead or lived there. Not to be outdone, William, who later put both his parents’ surnames together and won a seat in Parliament to become the Hon. William Winter-Irving, MLC, built Stanhope.

By 1888, he spent another small fortune on improvements to the already impressive property. But by then, he had entered politics and built the 90-room Mansion, Noorilim.

Following Winter -Irving’s death in 1902, the Stanhope Estate was divided among his family with the homestead section going to his son, William jun. In March 1913 the property was sold to the Closer Settlement Board which re-sold the homestead to the Baker brothers. The surviving brother, Mr Tom Baker has continued to work the property which has been classified by the National Trust.

Posted in Local History | Leave a comment

Fire in the Belly again….

Article image from the National Library of Australia’s Newspaper Digitisation Program

Article image from the National Library of Australia’s Newspaper Digitisation Program

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Fire in the Belly more…

And even more interesting some follow up articles written in response to the original news item…

 

 

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment